WHY DO WE HOLD A GREEN STARTUP EUROPE AWARDS?
The Mission Statement of the European Commission in the area of Environment, aims to protect, preserve and improve the environment for present and future generations, proposing and implementing policies that ensure a high level of environmental protection and preserve the quality of life of EU citizens. It also makes sure that Member States apply EU environmental law correctly and represents the European Union in environmental matters at international meetings.
To enable EU citizens to live well, within the planet’s ecological limits, in an innovative, circular economy, where biodiversity is protected, valued and restored and environment-related health risks are minimized in ways to enhance our society’s resilience, and where growth has been decoupled from resource use.
Following this massive goal, Green StartUp Europe Awards will recognise the work of startups working in these areas and trying to make this world a better place to live.
Green StartUp Europe Awards aims at recognising startups offering products, services or methodologies addressing: improved resource efficiency, climate change, low carbon economy, societal challenges, new business opportunities, circular Economy, blue growth, renewable energy, etc.
The most important eligibility criteria are the following:
- Sustainability: the product or service must contribute to reduce the ecological impact of the city, thus increasing the sustainability from an environmental, social and economic point of view.
- Innovation: We will focus on the grade of innovation, disruption and originality of the startups.
- Business model: We will rate the added value to society resulting from the startups (economic viability, private-public collaboration, replicability, etc.).
- Social Clauses: job generated, gender policy, social inclusion, collaboration with NGOs, trainees program.
- European Dimension: participation in European funded projects, partnership or agreements with other European partners.